Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Developing the First Weapon - 1338 Days Until Z-Day

"The human body, if cared for and trained properly, is the greatest weapon on earth. Americans are notorious for their bad diet, lack of exercise, and relentless fetish for labor-saving technology. As recognizable as the term "Couch potato" is, a more accurate term would be "cattle": fat, lazy, listless, and ready to be eaten. Weapon No. 1, the biological tool that is our body, can and must be transformed from prey to predator. Obey a strict diet and physical-fitness regimen. Concentrate on cardiovascular instead of strength-building exercise. Monitor any chronic health conditions you may have, no matter how small. even if your worst ailment is allergies, treat them regularly! When a situation does arise, you must know exactly your body is capable of! Study and master at least one martial art. Make sure its emphasis is on escaping holds rather than delivering blows. Knowing how to slip from a zombie's clutches is the single most important skill you can possess when you fine yourself in close combat. (The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks)"

I am, or atleast used to be one of these cattle that Mr. Brooks described. This is why I have changed my horrid ways. When Z-Day comes, I want to have every advantage available to me. Every advantage increases chance of survival. Physical ability being the first one. Although Zombies are slow, they'll most likely have to be dealt with in large numbers, from every direction. It's important to strengthen our cardiovascular system, to make sure we have the stamina and endurance to keep moving. You can have all the guns in the world, but eventually you'll probably run out of ammunition and have to flee. The Zed will continue to give chase at a crawling pace, but they won't tire or stop, you will.

So to start building up my Cardio, I've just been power walking 2 miles every morning. I started this Tuesday, and plan to keep up a walking routine of Monday-Saturday, Sunday will be my rest day. I do my walks in the morning for two reasons, 1) To beat the afternoon Heat, 2) Before breakfast, this gets my metabolism going. Once I finish up this week's walking, and do another week set I'll add an evening workout with "My Fitness Coach." I know right? The evenings are starting to get hot also so I'd rather exercise inside before dinner. This is a good cardio guide that I found. It has some great starting ideas, exercise ideas and tips, etc, really worth a look.

Alongside my cardio workouts, I've started a better diet plan. I'm not following any specific diet, but just cut out all the junk, fast food, and sodas. I've also found myself leaning towards eating 5-6 small meals instead of 3 big ones. This serves a couple purposes. 1) Keeps my metabolism going strong all day. 2) Phsycological effect of always being full since I'm eating all the time. When I say eating all the time, I'm talking about a snack of usually fruit content or granola bar. I've been substituting soda with water, which is actually easier than I thought it would be just because of the thought process behind it. A) I can either drink a ~100 calorie glass of soda or B) Drink all the water I want that doesn't have those extra calories and sugars. Drinking a glass of water hydrates your body better than soda, helps keep you full, and you can drink it all day without feeling guilty. So for me, a typical day usually looks like this:
  • Morning 2-mile Walk
  • Breakfast - Carnation's Instant Breakfast Essential Drink
  • 1st Snack - Fruit
  • Lunch - Some type of sandwhich
  • 2nd Snack - Fruit
  • Dinner - Whatever my parents make, usually eaten in moderation
  • 3rd Snack (optional) - Fruit or air-popped popcorn or similar ~100 calorie snack

No comments:

Post a Comment